Friday, June 8, 2007

"Railroad Train to Heaven", Part One


I have some very exciting news. After many months of the most debased begging, wheedling and cajoling on my part the splendid people at the
Arnold Schnabel Society have handed over to me the army footlocker containing the hundreds of small copybooks which comprise the poet Arnold Schnabel’s unpublished but legendary memoir, Railroad Train to Heaven, and have said, in essence, “Do with this what you will.”

So what I will do is dole out this treasure-trove of modern literature in its unexpurgated entirety, but occasionally, on the installment plan, for
litterateurs throughout the universe to read and savor and to cut and paste and send to all their friends.

I should mention that, unlike the poems, which typically went through numerous densely-amended drafts, these notepads appear to be only sparsely revised. All the entries were written with ball-point pen, usually a Bic. Very occasionally a word will be crossed out and replaced, or a phrase or a sentence will be interpolated in the space between the lines. Sometimes a line will be drawn through a sentence or a great X engraved on a paragraph or page, often accompanied by a comment in the margin such as "rubbish" or "nonsense". Schnabel only rarely indicates the date of composition (and usually then only through a reference to a holiday or some historical event, such as the assassination of John F. Kennedy) but, working through internal evidence, I shall do my best to present these memoirs in chronological order.

And so we begin this serialization of
Railroad to Heaven, which I would rank alongside the great confessionals of world literature, second only perhaps to the immortal Pepys.

The time would be June, 1963. Observe the complete lack of any sort of preamble. As with his poems he simply gets right to it.

(Note: I have silently corrected the occasional misspelling. Everything else is directly transcribed from the Schnabel holograph. As with the poems, these excerpts are presented thanks to and only with the imprimatur of the generous people of the Arnold Schnabel Society.)




I hate the beach, and truth be told I’m not all that crazy about sunshine.
But I have come here, to my aunts’ guest house in Cape May, because my mother thinks it would be good for me, and because she likes to see her sisters now and then.
My mother also has no interest in the beach. She spends her days mostly working in the garden, or trimming the hedges.
I read, walk around, try to stay sane.

I have my own room, a very small room, in the attic.
I go to mass every morning without fail, and I think that helps. (Or so I pray. I pray that the daily mass helps. I pray that my prayers help.)
Occasionally I stop in a bar and nurse a beer. I look at baseball games on the television.
Sometimes I get into conversations with people. Americans seem to be a friendly sort by and large. People like to talk. With little or no prodding they will and do tell you everything about themselves.
I listen, or sort of listen, I like to think I have always been very much a nice guy, but I do not reciprocate their autobiographical effusiveness.
What can I tell them?
That I am a Catholic bachelor in his forties, that I live with my mother and except for the few years of my decidedly unheroic military career have always lived with my mother, that, again excepting for my time in the modest service of Uncle Sam, I have worked my entire life as a brakeman for the Reading Railroad, that last winter I went completely out of my mind and spent eight weeks in Byberry?
That after a while I returned to work but, following a few embarrassing episodes (some of which I was aware of at the time, others to which I was oblivious), it was strongly suggested that I take an extended leave of absence on half-pay?
That I was on prescribed pills but stopped taking them?
That after ceasing to take these pills I would occasionally suffer the most frightening hallucinations, hallucinations which while they were happening were as real as anything I have experienced in my life?
And that -- knock on wood -- it has now been a few weeks since my last “episode”?
No, I choose not to share all this with my new temporary friends.
I won’t say no one wants to hear this sort of thing because actually people love to hear horror stories, as of course do I.
No, I simply don’t want to be the one telling them, with me as the subject; except for here, in this notebook, where it’s all between me, myself and that other lunatic: I.

(Continued here.)

(Up-to-date listings of links to other episodes are posted on the right hand side of this page, as well as links to many of Arnold Schnabel's classic poems.
Nihil Obstat, Bishop J.J. "Smilin' Jack" Graham, S.J.)

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

bring it on down the line

Dan Leo said...

We endeavour to give satisfaction, sir.

Anonymous said...

I feel honored blessed even to be alive during the unearthing of the Arnold Schnabel archives.

I pray not to be too greedy in expectation of the splendiferous passages forthcoming.

Let the feast begin but please use restraint Dan lest you accelerate the Rapture.

Dan Leo said...

We'll take it slow and-easy like.

kathleenmaher said...

I hate the beach, and truth be told I’m not all that crazy about sunshine.

He got me with that sentence and I've been hooked ever since.

Dan Leo said...

Aw, Kathleen...

eng sara said...

شركة تنظيف بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بالرياض
شركة زهرة نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات
شركة تسليك مجاري الرياض
شركة تنظيف بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة
شركة تنظيف بالرياض

here
here
here
here
here



شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة خبراء المملكة لخدمات التنظيف
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض 0566143611 - 0566822461
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة تنظيف فلل وشقق بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة عزل و تنظيف الخزانات
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة نقل وتخزين أثاث بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة تنظيف قصور بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة تخزين أثاث بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة نظافه عامه بالرياض
0566143611 - 0566822461 شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالرياض

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة المروه لخدمات التنظيف
شركة جلى بلاط بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالخبر
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض
شركة تخزين أثاث بالرياض
شركة نقل أثاث بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء
شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام
شركة رش مبيدات بالخبر
شركة رش مبيدات بالجيبيل
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف قصور بالرياض
شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض
شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض
شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة النيل لخدمات التنظيف بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات برماح
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالجله
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالجله
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخرج
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالمزاحميه
شركة رش مبيدات بالمزاحميه
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالمزاحميه
شركة تنظيف فلل بالمزاحمية

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة بيع اشجار زراعة اشجار
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض برماح
شركة تنظيف خزانات
شركة تنظيف شقق
شركة تنظيف فلل
شركة تنظيف منازل
شركة مكافحة حشرات
شركة نقل أثاث

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل وقصور بالرياض
شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض
شركة تنظيف واجهات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف الشقق بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف الخزانات بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف المجالس بالرياض

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة الصفرات لتنظيف القصور بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف الفلل بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف المنازل بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف الموكيت بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لرش المبيدات بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لعزل الخزانات بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لكشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة الصفرات للتنظيف بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لمكافحة الحشرات بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لنقل الأثاث بالرياض

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة الصفرات لنقل العفش بالرياض
شركة جلى بلاط بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الثعابين بالرياض
شركة رش دفان بالرياض
شركة رش دفان بالخرج
شركة تنظيف بجنوب الرياض
شركة تنظيف منازل بجنوب الرياض
شركة تنظيف منازل بغرب الرياض

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة رش مبيدات بشمال الرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بجنوب الرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بشمال الرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بغرب الرياض
شركة تنظيف بغرب الرياض
شركة رش مبيدات بجنوب الرياض
شركة رش مبيدات بغرب الرياض

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

الاستاذ
شركة الفتح لنقل العفش
شركة نظافه شامله
شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
شركة مكافحة فئران بالدمام
شركة عزل خزانات بالدمام
شركة وايط شفط بيارات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالدمام
شركة شفط بيارات بالدمام
شركة عزل اسطح بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف قصور بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بيوت بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالدام
نقل بنجران
شركة تنظيف سجاد ومكوكيت بنجران
شركة تنظيف خزانات بجزان
شركة مكافحة حشرات بجزان
تنظيف بالرياض

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة تنظيف وعزل خزانات
شركة مكافحة واباده حشرات
تسليك مجارى بنجران
شركة نقل اثاث
شركة وايط شفط بيارات
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
نقل اثاث بالرياض
تسليك مجارى بالرياض
افضل شركة تنظيف شقق بالرباض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة نقل اثاث وعفش بالرياض
شركة نقل عفش داخل وخارج الرياض
نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة عزل اسطح بالياض
شركة شفط سيارات
شركة ترميمات فلل وشقق ومنازل بالرياض
تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
تنظيف منازل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف واجهات بالرياض
تسليك مجارى بالرياض
مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
خدمات تنظيف
نقل وخزين

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض
تنظيف فلل بالرياض
خدمات تنظيف
خدمات نقل وخزين
غسيل خزانات
رش مبيدات ومكافحة حشرات
نقل اثاث
تنظيف اثاث وارضيات
الفتح للخدمات

شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة تنظيف بجده
شركة تنظيف شقق بجده
شركة تنظيف فلل بجده
شركة تنظيف قصور بجده
شركة تنظيف خزانات بجده
شركة عزل اسطح بجده
شركة عزل خزانات بجده
شركة تنظيف مجالس لجده
شركة تنظيف مساجد بجده

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بجده
شركة رش مبيدات بجده
مكافحة صراصير المطبخ
شركة نقل اثاث بجده
شركة نقل عفش بجده
شركة مكافحةالنمل الابيض بأبها
شركة رش مبيدات بأبها
شركة تنظيف بأبها
شركة تنظيف شقق بأبها

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة تنظيف فلل بأبها
شركة تنظيف بالمدينه المنوره
شركة تنظيف فلل بالمدينه المنوره
شركة تنظيف شقق بالمدينه المنوره
شركة نقل اثاث بالمدينه المنوره
شركة تنظيف عفش بالمدينه المنوره
شركة رش مبيدات بالمدينه المنوره
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة الفؤاد للخدمات بالرياض
اعمال الصيانة بالرياض
شركة رش مبيد ومكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض
شركة دهانات بالرياض
شركة عزل خزانات واسطح بالرياض
شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل وقصور بالرياض
شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض
شركة تنظيف واجهات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
شركة زهرة المدائن لكافة الخدمات بالدمام والخبر
شركة تنظيف فلل بالخبر
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

0500462008 شركة الصفرات تسليك المجارى بالرياض
0500462008 شركة الصفرات شفط البيارات بالرياض
0500462008 شركة الصفرات تنظيف الخزانات بالرياض
0500462008 شركة الصفرات عزل الاسطح بالرياض
0500462008 شركة الصفرات تنظيف الشقق بالرياض
0500462008 شركة الصفرات تنظيف الفلل بالرياض
0500462008 شركة الصفرات رش المبيدات بالرياض
0500462008 شركة الصفرات مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض
0500462008 شركة الصفرات غسيل السجاد بالرياض
0500462008 شركة الصفرات كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
0500462008 شركة الصفرات نقل الاثاث بالرياض
0500462008 شركة الصفرات رش مبيدات بأبها
cccc

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة أبو سمره لخدمات التنظيف بالرياض 0504928143
شركة تخزين أثاث بالرياض
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض

شركة خبراء المملكة 0566143611 said...

شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض
شركة غسيل خزانات بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة نقل أثاث بالرياض
شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بالرياض