Sunday, March 17, 2019

"Chronicles of a Planet Called Mook, Vol. 1"


“Where ya goin’, Mabel?”



Clyde had been staring at the blank first page of his new novel. All he had so far was the title: Chronicles of a Planet Called Mook: Volume One.



“Shopping,” said Mabel.

“Dressed like that?”

“What’s the matter with the way I’m dressed?”

“Nothing, baby. You look nice.”

“You think maybe I should go to the A&P wearing curlers and a housecoat like the rest of them broads?”

“No, not at all. You look swell, babe.”

“I might be a while. I told Madge I’d meet her for lunch at the automat.”

“Tell Madge I said hi.”

“Sure.”

Mabel headed out the door, and down the four flights of stairs to the Bowery. She would have to ring up Madge and tell her that they were supposed to have had lunch at the automat. 



Chronicles of a Planet Called Mook, Vol. 1, by Horace P. Sternwall (a Budget Books paperback original, 1953; republished as Indiscretions of a Hack Writer’s Wife, by “Herbert Pryce Stevenson”,  Jermyn Street Books {U.K.}, 1955.)

No comments: